Sunday 12 June 2011

Mixed bag

With the weekend drawing to a close, the sun is well hidden behind a thick dark blanket of angry clouds, being pushed along by an aggressive wind.  Not nice.  Not warm.  In fact, we put the heating on it's that cold.  Apart from the weather being a disaster, we had to pay a visit to A&E after the boy caught a corner with his head which ended up having to be glued back together.

Saturday was better.  Mostly sunshine and cigars with no trips to the hospital, starting with golf, which I was excited about, as I'd be getting to use my shiny new putter for the first time.  I was really looking forward to it and it didn't disappoint.  Not a single 3-putt, and everything within 6 feet dropping straight in the hole.  So a good day on the greens.

After golf, I had a couple of cigars to look forward to.  A new one and a favourite one.  The favourite one was a Oliva Double Robusto which once again was a great cigar.  The new one was a Oliva Serie G Churchill. 

A new batch arrived on Friday, made up of 5 x Oliva Double Robusto, 5 x Luis Martinez Hamilton Robusto, 2 x Serie G Churchills and to round it all off, a Bolivar Belicosos Finos.

The Serie G Churchill was first to go.  A box pressed stick, long, lean and elegant with a nice dark brown wrapper.  I do like a Churchill and this one was a good one.  It took a little while to get going but this cigar was not going to be rushed, waiting for around a 3rd way through before opening up.  Ninety minutes later and the once proud and long Churchill was nothing but a mere stump, a shadow of it's former self.

Basically it was lovely.

Next up was the  Double Robusto which was also lovely but in a more macho kind of way.   I've had a few of these over the past couple of weeks and decided to take three with me to Luxembourg at the end of the month.

We're off to Rock-a-field with the Doyles.  Raul the wise (and his lovely wife) will be there, so I've been thinking about which cigars to bring with me for a while now.  It's an important decision that has been weighing heavily on my mind.  The last thing I want to do is present J.D and Rolo with something that disappoints and my original selection would have done just that.

Apart from rocking it in Luxembourg, we'll be picking up some cigar purchases and obviously enjoying a few too, so that's something to look forward to.

Another event I'm looking forward to is a trip to Billingsgate Market with Mr. Bloor.

Billingsgate is the UK's largest inland fish market, where I hope to pick up some shrimp and lobster next month.  After that, it's off to visit a cemetery, followed by a cigar and a pint.  More on that next month.

Mr. Bloor likes fish, real ales and Christopher Wren churches.  Check out his blog, http://wrenotherstuff.blogspot.com/


It's still raining outside, and for some reason, I'm also watching it rain on the TV.  So much for the Canadian Gran Prix.

Time to change the channel...

...Glad I switched back to the GP.  What a great race it turned out to be.  Nice driving Jensen Button.

This will save my game

Newbies


The Churchill
The Double Robusto

No comments:

Post a Comment