Friday 2 March 2012

Master Chef

I'm not exactly claiming to be the next Raymond Blanc or anything, but every now and then, I surprise myself, and on this occasion, I'd like to think I surprised the wife too, as I rustled up something unexpected, something I'd never tried before, and something I had absolutely nobody to thank for, nobody except Rick Stein that is.

Rick on Saturday kitchen might have been the inspiration, but Rick assumed I'd made a pastry base before, which of course I hadn't, so that was job number one on my Saturday morning kitchen cooking adventure.  Google pastry base.

The wife was at work, so I had the kitchen, google and the baby to myself.  I was thinking of hitting the shops before she got home, but she finished early, so we picked her up, drove up to Waitrose, then sent her in with the list, while myself and the boy slept in the car.

The shopping list included a good sausage of chorizo, clotted cream and eggs.  She had no idea of  the culinary delights I had in store..

Here's another thing Rick told me about, blind baking.  Another quick google and I was good to go.

With the pastry blind baked, it was time for the filling.  Chopped chorizo, three eggs mixed with the clotted cream (plus a touch of milk), tarragon , tyme, a pinch of salt and parmesan shavings.  Thirty minutes at gas mark 5, and my chorizo quiche was ready for serving.

To celebrate this delicious luncheon, I relaxed in the garden with a Bolivar gold medal.  The Boli was another cigar from Casa Del Habano in Luxembourg, and although there was slight damage to the foot, it didn't make any difference to what was a great cigar.

I only picked up two gold medals in Luxembourg which was a shame really, as that was the last one.  A great cigar and although I originally thought the gold wrapper was a bit pretentious, I actually quite like it now and will miss them now they're gone.

The second cigar of the day was also a Bolivar, this time a Coronas Gigantes.  A long box pressed cigar that was very enjoyable with good smoke and a good burn.  I can't remember much more about it but I'm pretty sure I liked it.  I'll pay better attention next time.

The wife was so impressed with my chorizo quiche that the insisted I bake another.  This time, instead of chorizo, I went for leek, and instead of clotted cream, I went for a health conscious tub of double cream.  Another gold medal for me.

From this...

...to this

Gold medal for me

Big Boli

The one with leek

No comments:

Post a Comment