Sunday 5 February 2012

The Cap of Montecristo

This weeks Saturday cigar was a Montecristo Edmundo that Ciaran got me at Christmas in Galway.  Originally tubed, I detubed it and left it naked to rest in the humidor for a month, before deciding on Saturday that its time had come.

A flawlessly constructed, high quality stick, that was an excellent smoke and if you want a review of this cigar, here's one by cigar reviews.  I loved this cigar, but one thing that stood out was the cap, which was I thought was bigger than most, so when I cut the cigar, the big cap that remained looked a bit strange.

Not a problem but as I got towards the final third, the cap came away and the wrapper began to unravel.  No biggy, and I stuck the wrapper back with a bit of gum from the cap.  This got me thinking about how I used to cut my cigars when I first started out. 

Maybe it was just me, but I think most people who are new to cigars, or who might be given one to smoke (and cut) for the first time, might make the same mistake I did, which was to cut too far down the cigar.  This always resulted in an unravel of the wrapper, which pretty much ruins the enjoyment as you fight to hold the cigar together.

I learnt from that mistake early on, and nowadays I carefully line up the cutters and only cut the end of the cap.  I try not to take any of the cigar or tobacco with the cut, which leaves the cap in place, and so the cigar should never unravel.  The key here is to take your time and not rush.

Later in the evening, myself and the wife made our way through the snow to enjoy a night out at the Barbican, where the Dressner twins were putting on a show.

The Long Count is described as baseball meets Mayan creation myth, meets art, meets American indie rock, meets classical music.

The show starts with the twins in a tug o'war, with a guitar suspended in the middle of the rope.  They relax and drop the guitar ever so often, bouncing it off the steel like mirrored floor, generating noise.  Later on, the guitar is lowered on a rope from the catwalks, and then bashed with baseball
bats by the twins.  This left me wondering if it the Mayans invented the piñata, which then lead to the invention of baseball. Anyway, great people the Mayans.  Shame about the calendar.

Actually, the calendar is fine.  If people think the world is going to end on December 20th 2012, then let me put their minds at ease.  The world will not end.  All that's going to happen is the Mayan calendar will start a new cycle.  Hollywood decided to cash in and make the disaster movie "2012", and what a disasterous movie it was too.  So don't worry.  We are all going to die, but not together at the same time.  Fingers crossed anyway.

The show was introduced by Matthew Ritchi who created the visual artwork.  The visuals and the singers are outstanding, as were the ten piece orchestra.  Kelly Deal stabs the floor with a knife made of mirror and also does a nice indie piece on guitar but it's the other two singers, Shara Worden and Tunde Adebimpe, that grab you and take you some place else.

After the show, we once more braved the Arctic conditions and I got a Ramon Allones going for the walk home.  We stopped off at The Golden Heart for a couple of pints of Guinness, standing out in the snow while dodging the odd incoming snowball.  I can happily report that the Ramon Allones Specially Selected is the perfect outdoors snowy weather cigar.



Monte and cakes (baked by my two year old)

RASS and snow

London bus and snow

Guinness and snow


No comments:

Post a Comment