Monday 23 January 2012

Poltergeist

I thought we had a poltergeist in our house.  I was almost calling in the paranormal investigators.  It was that serious.  Highly sensitive infrared cameras with special ghost movement detectors, were this close to being set up in the most active part of the house, the kitchen.

The cat has been going nuts at the back door for months now, and I was thinking the cat was just mad.  But all this time, she was trying to warn me.

Or was she...

So that's how things were for a while.  I got used to the idea of sharing the house with an invisible energy force from another dimension, who had nothing better to do, other than open up cupboard doors and leave them open.  Not just cupboard doors, but other doors too, like the microwave door, or sometimes the fridge.


Turns out, it was the wife all along.

The game was up when she left the oven door open, which I then tripped over as I turned around to use the sink.  Luckily the training took over and in mid fall, I turned the trip into a jump and landed on the other side of the oven door, with only a serious injury to my shin to show for it.

After a few choice words, we discussed the issue and agreed that leaving doors open was something that runs in her family, like being great at all sports runs in mine.

I didn't have a cigar to celebrate but I did have one earlier in the day, selecting one of the Macanudo 1968 Robusto that Rolo and Kaz gave me for my birthday.

I love the feel of this cigar, with it's silky dark wrapper and solid(ish) construction.  It didn't have a consistent feel from top to bottom, and for want of a better description, it had some hard bits and some soft bits.

The cigar lit up without any fuss and I got around two thirds through before things got a bit harsh.  It may need to be smoked a bit slower than I like to smoke, as it heated up a little, but it was good while it lasted.  The harshness got a bit unpleasant so I let it go with about a third still left.  Shame but hopefully they'll be good come summertime.

So, I know now that ghosts do not exist, nor do ghouls, vampires or goblins.  Except for the underpants fairy, she's real alright.


MacanoOOOodo

4 comments:

  1. Dear IAmYourMonkey,

    Firstly, I love your blog, and I'm glad to hear you probably don't have ghosts.

    Could I trouble you for some expert advice?

    I'm off skiing next week and I'm looking to take along a couple of cigars. It's going to be cold, so I'm looking for something short, but packing a lot of flavour, and which won't need touching up.

    Would you have any recommendations?

    Thanks in advance,
    YouAreMyMonkey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear YouaAreMyMonkey,

    Nice name. I like it.

    I'd say go for some Ramon Allones petit coronas. They're probably a favourite already but in case they're not, these little cigars pack a punch, are easy to handle when wearing gloves, can be shielded from the wind easily and are good outdoors performers. A bit like yourself no doubt. Enjoy skiing and send me a picture of you and your friends smoking a stogie. Take care, and don't fall on escalators. I hear they are lethal in ski boots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Sir,
    Firstly let me tell you that I´m a great fan of this blogg of yours and your person.
    I request your experienced advice regarding cigar choice for a humble student who has just gone through a stressful exam period. What stick would you recommend to match a number of red wine bottles and the occasional glass of dark rum or Port?
    Thank you in advance for your advice.
    Yours trully, El Torcho

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank your for those kind words. Much appreciated. My recommendation is a Bolivar Royal Corona or a Montecristo Open Master. Both should go well with several bottles of Spanish red. Best of luck with the exams and enjoy the cigars. Send photos of you enjoying them. Stay safe El Torcho.

    ReplyDelete